Frequently Asked Questions
What ages can ride?
Children must be at least 8 years of age unless they are very experienced riders.
Are there any weight restrictions?
Yes. The maximum weight allowed on our horses is 300 lbs. No exceptions. We have a limited number of horses that can accommodate larger riders. Please let us know if you weigh under/over 220 lbs (100 kg) so that we may know in advance which horses to use.
Do you have helmets we can use?
What if rain is in the forecast?
We ride rain or shine. If it is raining too hard or if there is lightening within range, your guide will instruct you to (a) wait in your vehicle until conditions improve or (b) your guide will offer you a rain check. You must be present at the correct location 10 minutes prior to the scheduled start time of your ride to be eligible for a rain check.
Please keep in mind that Florda weather is difficult to predict. Just because it is raining at your hotel does not meant it will be raining at the Preserve at the time of your ride. We have to wait to make a determination at the trail head at the time of your ride. If you are not there at the scheduled start time of your ride, we will leave without you and you will forfeit your payment.
What is your refund policy?
We do not issue refunds. Please make certain that everyone in your group wants to ride prior to booking.
What is your rescheduling policy?
If you need to reschedule, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org at least 72 hours in advance. There is a rebooking fee of $20 per booking (not per rider) if you decide to reschedule.
What should I wear?
We suggest long pants and riding boots or some type of closed-toed shoe. Boots/shoes with a short heel are safer than sneakers.
Do I need to bring anything?
Most people show up with nothing more than a desire to have fun. Others come prepared for every contingency. You may want to bring: bottled water, snacks, picnic supplies, a camera, sun glasses, extra cash, insect repellant, sunscreen, a hat/cap, and a riding helmet. A parent/legal guardian must sign a release form for any minor children prior to mounting any of our horses. If a parent/guardian will not be there, please print a release form and bring it with you.
What if I don't know how to ride? What if I’m an expert rider?
Not a problem. We have horses for all experience levels.
Can my child ride on my horse with me?
Riding double can be unsafe. Everyone will ride a horse matched with their individual experience level and size.
How far are you from:
- Tampa International Airport (TPA)- 1 hr 21 min (82 miles)
- Southwest Florida International Airport (RSW) - 1 hr 11 min ((73.5 miles)
- Sarasota-Bradenton International Airport (SRQ) - 0 hr 45 min (33.4 miles)
- Charlotte County Airport (PGD) - 0 hr 43 min (40.3 miles)
- Naples Municipal Airport - 1 hr 36 min (99.3 miles)
- Orlando International Airport (MCO) - 2 hrs 16 min (150 miles)
- Miami International Airport (MIA) - 3 hors 11 min (212 miles)
- Siesta Key - 0 hr 37 min (24.9 miles)
- Anna Maria Island - 1 hr 2 min (45.8 miles)
How do I get there?
- Take I-75 to exit #193
- N (left) on Jacaranda (less than a mile)
- R on Border Rd to end (less than 3 miles)
- R on S Moon Dr
- L at stop sign (still S Moon Dr), continue over interstate
- L at Forbes Tr, follow to dead end about 1 mile
- R into Deer Prairie Creek Preserve
The GPS coordinates are as follows:
We no longer give out the "address" Sarasota County uses for the preserve because no mapping systems recognizes it.